LAB is also a publishing institution that produces publications in various formats adapted for visually disabled or otherwise print disabled persons. Of these formats, the most popular are audio books. Since 2013, LAB runs narrator volunteering activities that attract sustained public attention every year. The library has three recording studios in Vilnius and two in Kaunas for individual narration of books. Our volunteer narrators have an opportunity to work in the audio recording studios 24 hours a day. Registration for narration takes place using a pre-booking system. Most often, volunteers narrate books requested by our users. Recommended narration period for one audio book is 3 months.
In accordance with the provisions of the Law on Copyright and Related Rights of the Republic of Lithuania, LAB's audio publications are used only by people who find it difficult to read normal print due to their visual disability or other print disability; these audio publications are not available for public access.
- 2013 – LAB's Volunteer Program launched in Vilnius,
- 2017 – LAB's Volunteer Program launched in Kaunas,
- 172 active volunteers;
- ~ 800 hours spent at the studio every year;
- ~ 100 audio books annually;
- A total of 450 enrolled volunteers in Vilnius and Kaunas.
- More than 12 thousand audio publications;
- Of which 643 are voiced by volunteers;
- 2019: 475 books (of which 83 were voiced by volunteers).
Portrait of a volunteer:
- 80 % female;
- 34 % are 40–49 years;
- 84 % have a higher university education;
- 86 % combine volunteering with work.